Skip to main content

Death Cab To Oblivion

Hey Mike,

I don't even know what that title even means, but I'm listening to DCFC and am having a hard time keeping my head up right now.

Everyone's parents are dying, on top of all of our people dying because...I don't know, we had too much fun? Didn't take good care of ourselves? Didn't follow the rules? 

I don't fucking know, and it's killing me. Everything feels like the fallout from not having made the right choices, and yet, I feel like I am only aware of it because I did live the life like it was a wave to surf - but apparently, I'm a shitty surfer?

Dunno. I watched the Beatles doc that Ron Howard made and am even more fascinated by how fame manifested more than half a century ago, and how its so much the same, and so very different now.

Also, this thing where I keep believing in stuff and it just always never holds up. It never is what I think it is, what I expect it to be. EVER. I mean, I spent my college years secretly hoping Joe Biden would be president...40 years fucking later he finally is and it is almost as painful to experience as having the number one biggest-selling grifter of all grifters in office.

America is not getting better. I'm worried it never will be. Sure, maybe that's how France felt 2000 years ago? all I know is I'm gonna be dead soon, and it's not cool. I want to know what happens in 200 years? Does the planet implode? Do we go out like dinosaurs or is it Mad Max? It feels like Mad Max - makes you wonder how it gets to The Last of Us or whatever. We are in transition as a species I suspect and it hobbles me; I can't stop wondering what will happen next. The through lines seem clear to me, but people seems to think its a fucking joke, or just legit are End Of Days, Fall of Roman Empire-style attitudes.

Or maybe I watched too much Peaky Blinders while high. Hard to say.

In the Beatles doc, they were hashing out how horrible the sound and experience were at Shea Stadium, and that was the biggest reason why they stopped playing.

Now, 60 years later, stadium gigs are the epitome of success, Harry plays to 100, 000 people at Slane or in Latin America, Beyonce just packed CenturyLink with 65K, goddamn Ed Sheeran A SOLO ACT packed almost 80k people in there. Giant stage, a ridiculous sound that sounds good through my open window 4 blocks away.

Fucking science and humans. how is everyone not completely freaking out about how fast time moves?

I know we weren't great, but I wish we'd tried harder. I wish I'd believed in it more, I wish I'd put actual effort into learning to play music, in how to have a relationship, I wish I hadn't just waited for things to sort themselves out.

I wish I'd said yes to Kevin Silence when he asked me to move to play in Dead Silence. I wish I'd stayed behind with Bogdan. I wish I'd done the stage at Bouchon. I wish I didn't hate looking in the mirror, about feeling so ugly all the time.I wish I'd kept doing audio-visual stuff in high school.

Watching my mom decline is not just sad; it's terrifying to me. What the fuck will I do if I forget everything? The memories, especially in this last, most intense decade of all the decades of my life - I've written virtually nothing about. The only record or references are online, the social media, the blogs (this and that other one at diaryland) - I disabled my Twitter account because Elon Musk was the straw - and because I didn't return with my tail between my legs to reactivate - my handle is now being used by some weird rando, and my hilariously candid tweets which date all the way back to the prehistoric internet (well, not really, I mean I was online at Microsoft in 1998 for fucks sake!) and which are part of the only documenting i did are gone. Poof. I've always tried to remember that, and have never really believed that everything will be out there forever, or that it will be easy to find, and lately I think I'm right. Even if there was someone who wanted to know what I was interested in and dealing with in 2008 someday, I honestly don't think they'll find any of the nonsense that I have scattered around the internet like sunflower seed shells.

Jesus: note to self: DO NOT LISTEN TO TRANSATLANTICISM WHILE STONED.    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kids Today

Hey Mike. Look, I know you always wanted a kid - on our first option to become parents you very vividly made the case that "If we have a kid and teach it to play drums, we'll always have a drummer" - or you may have said it on the occasion of our second chance to have a kid. But either or both times, it struck me as not the best way to approach parenthood. Of course, in hindsight, there's never a best time, or way to have kids. That being said, I am currently both super happy to not be responsible for the aboslute monstrosity of a generation that "Z" is - because in my head, I was all set to regret that I won't have anyone to take care of me in my old age (should I manage to live that long) and relived that none of this bullshit is my fault. Lately though, I don't know if any kid I would have had would give two shits about me (or you) at this point anyway. I mean the one kid you did have has changed their gender, and seems fully on board (as one wou

Since you've been gone.

Hi. I've been meaning to write for a while, but to be honest, it's hard where to know where to start. So many weird, little things happen over the days that remind me of you, or of someone, we both know (knew?) that I should probably be scribbling it down, because...well, my memory is not getting any better these days. You've been gone almost a year now buddy, and though I hadn't seen you physically in years, the good ol' internet allowed us to stay in touch anyway. It's hard to explain to people, even the people closest to me how strange it is to not have you around even in just the greater sense of the world. If anything, it has made me very aware of how much I was living in the moment (which is, honestly just a romantic way of saying "not paying attention") and that I am always looking for context in the things that happen locally and globally. You were absolutely a yardstick for a certain type of context, and I miss it, even though (and I suppose i

Morning sunshine.

Hi. Hitting this early, because the sun is out, and I have every intention of getting out in it alone with the pup. That being said, I was scrolling thru the ol' FB feed and came across our old housemate Mark's video of him busking this morning at a Metro stop, which he's been doing since we first met him 30 years ago (!!!) at the Greenhouse, when he was delivering the CityPaper, and had Nicki the dog at his side at all times. Listening to him play (which, if possible is even more lovely than it was then, or maybe, I'm just more able to appreciate his gift now) made me immediately think: I would have never met him if it hadn't been for Mike. So, thank you. So many of the amazingly talented and unique folks I have met in my life have come because I followed you to DC, and to Europe, and to Eugene. I know I thanked you a couple times generally, but never really knew if you understood what I meant. Sure, I would have made plenty of connections on my own, but I am forev