Skip to main content

so much more that should have been done

Good morning Mike. So, day 7 of protests here in Seattle, and today it looked like DC in '88 (and stuff I've seen and been told about from '87) - the protestors, most are young people who live in Capitol Hill, holding the line at 11th and Pine 24/7 now. Last night there was music, dancing, poetry, and light projections. The signage has been creative and plentiful. The kids are supplying each other - they are definitely taking their cues from the kids in Hong Kong. The cops are on a shorter leash, but still getting caught displaying their disdain for dirty hippies. And by dirty hippies, I mean anyone who doesn't look like Molly Ringwald and Emilio Estevez in Breakfast Club, or those loons from Duck Dynasty. That being said, there is a definite commitment I haven't seen before, and I have to guess it is coming from being in lockdown for so long. This is gonna be a summer for the ages, for sure. The soundtrack is a bit different, but the anger, the frustration, is real. I'm starting to have uncomfortable conversations with people - white friends, neighbors, people who consider themselves "not racist" and are "shocked" that anyone could "still think those things in this time". It's got me thinking a lot. As if my brain isn't jam-packed with shit already. I have been aware of the systematic racism and it's affects for a long time, since high school at least, since finding out about Apartheid, since college, since studying and being encouraged (and informed to a certain degree) with you. You pointed me at this problem in a way that set me in motion, and I wish I had realized that part more clearly before you were gone. I thanked you generally, and I hope you knew that my political blosseming (not awakening, but definitely me coming in to action and understanding) was nurtured by you. Then, following you to DC, making my own friends in jobs like at The Wiz, meeting Latonya from Texas (who I got a real-world lesson on black hair politics from among other middle-class black family struggles), Tesha from Baltimore (I think, though she might have been local to DC), Gerald, our classical guy who was young, black and from NYC who shared a love (and actual experience) of Keith Haring with me. They were young black people who opened up to me so much, I learned so fucking much being with them every day (and sometimes hanging out, like when Tesha Tori and I went to see the Busboys, and got on their bus!). Or at Common Concenrns, a fucking revolutionary hub, I was so lucky to meet and be friends with Linda, a mature black woman from Philly, who educated me on the MOVE protests, and just how it was to be a black woman in the late 80's on the East Coast. Or the delightful Jon Loggins, Fishbone cohort, Cali native, and fucking just a rockstar. Sharing time and experiences with them changed me, and steeled my understanding. Meeting Sue (who I'm still friends with on FB!) and Rodney (ditto!) who played and travelled with us (to NYC, another transformative trip) hearing them talk, listening to their realities. All the customers at Common Concerns...I met genuine cultural giants. So lucky to have been a part of all of that. Even the brushes with people - Fred Freak, Butch, our first DC drummer Rob. I remember going to his mom's house in Maryland - and noticing the differences, and similarities of my own family home. Fucking changed me, and in a good way. However, I'm realizing now, that it also made me feel like I knew what was wrong. I worked hard for South Afircan's freedom, but not hard enough on my fellow black Americans. Because it didn't seem like a crisis on the surface. I still was only seeing the surface, and like Amber Ruffin said recently, black people are taught to not talk about their day to day struggles. Yesterday, while talking to Karen, she mentioned that black people "have chips on their shoulders" and my response was "where do you think that comes from?" and she reeled off a list, and the first one was that they were "taught" it. And I again said, "by who though?" and then the conversation digressed, and I'm now turning it over and over. Because black people are finally saying the shit out loud. The middle class black folks that I have been most familiar with, who I have loved and laughed with are telling me shit they haven't said before. I think I assumed it was only people who presented "ghetto" who got that kind of shit - which is wrong as well, obviously, and the systemic part of the racism tells you that "well, if they didn't express themselves like that, the cops would leave them alone" is wrong on the basic level that enraged me about apartheid. What we are finally seeing because people have cameras to record it is that the dehumanization is happening to ALL black people. And I have not been active or outspoken enough. I have been outspokem, but have also let shit die rather than wrestle with people over their passive-agressive attitudes. It's gonna stop. Today. Now. I may be too old to be in the streets (though I watched a 75-year old white guy in Buffalo get shoved to the ground and have his head busted open for simply questioning a cop so I guess I'm a fucking baby) but every damn day I'm going to treat this place, this "liberal bubble" of Seattle in the way it deserves: black lives matter - we have to say it because not everyone believes it, or seems to want to tack "more" onto it. That's not the message. The message is black lives matter. American culture would tell you that their lives don't matter, that they aren't important. But they are important. Everyone should have the same opportunity to not be fearful of being shot by police. What is going to happen is either we are ALL going to get shot by police, or we are gonna fix this bullshit. I'm hoping for the latter, but expecting the worst. There is a blueprint for this stuff: you dehumanize a population one segment at a time, and the corporate monsters in power are hitting the gas pedal on the opression and control hard now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kids Today

Hey Mike. Look, I know you always wanted a kid - on our first option to become parents you very vividly made the case that "If we have a kid and teach it to play drums, we'll always have a drummer" - or you may have said it on the occasion of our second chance to have a kid. But either or both times, it struck me as not the best way to approach parenthood. Of course, in hindsight, there's never a best time, or way to have kids. That being said, I am currently both super happy to not be responsible for the aboslute monstrosity of a generation that "Z" is - because in my head, I was all set to regret that I won't have anyone to take care of me in my old age (should I manage to live that long) and relived that none of this bullshit is my fault. Lately though, I don't know if any kid I would have had would give two shits about me (or you) at this point anyway. I mean the one kid you did have has changed their gender, and seems fully on board (as one wou

Since you've been gone.

Hi. I've been meaning to write for a while, but to be honest, it's hard where to know where to start. So many weird, little things happen over the days that remind me of you, or of someone, we both know (knew?) that I should probably be scribbling it down, because...well, my memory is not getting any better these days. You've been gone almost a year now buddy, and though I hadn't seen you physically in years, the good ol' internet allowed us to stay in touch anyway. It's hard to explain to people, even the people closest to me how strange it is to not have you around even in just the greater sense of the world. If anything, it has made me very aware of how much I was living in the moment (which is, honestly just a romantic way of saying "not paying attention") and that I am always looking for context in the things that happen locally and globally. You were absolutely a yardstick for a certain type of context, and I miss it, even though (and I suppose i

Morning sunshine.

Hi. Hitting this early, because the sun is out, and I have every intention of getting out in it alone with the pup. That being said, I was scrolling thru the ol' FB feed and came across our old housemate Mark's video of him busking this morning at a Metro stop, which he's been doing since we first met him 30 years ago (!!!) at the Greenhouse, when he was delivering the CityPaper, and had Nicki the dog at his side at all times. Listening to him play (which, if possible is even more lovely than it was then, or maybe, I'm just more able to appreciate his gift now) made me immediately think: I would have never met him if it hadn't been for Mike. So, thank you. So many of the amazingly talented and unique folks I have met in my life have come because I followed you to DC, and to Europe, and to Eugene. I know I thanked you a couple times generally, but never really knew if you understood what I meant. Sure, I would have made plenty of connections on my own, but I am forev